Tuesday, March 24, 2015

God's Love for Us - Longest Chapter in The Bible



Psalm 119 (using the King James Version)

Have you read this chapter and really looked at Psalms 119 thoroughly?
It’s the longest chapter in the Bible…176 verses!  Have you ever wondered why this might be?
Have you noticed something consistent through all 176 verses?
One day while reading through it again…I noticed it…yes there are particular words that are continually being used throughout these 176 verses:
Testimonies, statues, laws, word(s), precepts, commandments, the way, judgments.
Have you noticed it too? 
I was so struck by it,
I went back through and underlined every one of these words and found there to be more than 190 of them all in this one chapter 119   Wow!  Isn’t that interesting…and fascinating…it sure got my attention!
Why I wondered…reading Psalms 119 again…why such emphasis and then continually through these 176 verses and so’ many times? 
God, I believe wanted to make it clear to His readers that “His Word” which is His testimony, His precepts, His commandment, His judgment ARE MOST IMPORTANT!  It is His spoken word, His declaration to us… we…His creation!  To live life by His word is to live in peace, grace and have sense of direction!

In the Book of John, Chapter 1 it is written: “In the Beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made.  In Him was life and the life was the light of men.”

 

Do you see that God is the Word, and Jesus dwelt with God in Heaven and then came down through birth (as we humans did) and became the “living” breathed/spoken Word=Jesus! 
And further on in John 1:14 we read:
”The Word became human and lived among us. We saw His glory. It was the glory that the Father shares with His only Son, a glory full of kindness and truth.”
Yes, pretty neat huh?  That God came down to us through Jesus and shared His great Love for us!  He spoke words of grace and love and forgiveness!  And most importantly, of course, re-unification – by dying on the cross, we His creation were once again (thankfully!) reunited in oneness with our Creator God!
God=Word=Jesus!  God became the spoken word through Jesus when He came to this earth!  So Jesus is God and God is Jesus…The Word!  So as we read His Words on the pages of the Bible….we ARE continually taking in the presence of God, His Word into us…letting His Word reveal to us, ministering truth in us, and restoring us and filling us…and so much more!
John 17:23 in the Bible version - GOD’S WORD Translation (GW), we read what Jesus said in His last hours before the crucifixion:

”I am in them, and You (God) are in me. So they are completely united.  In this way the world knows that You have sent me and that You have loved them in the same way You have loved me.”
So as we read through Psalms 119 – be aware and take in the descriptive words used:
 testimonies (a declaration given by a person, evidence in support of a fact or assertion, proof)
statues (a permanent rule made by a body or institution)
laws (any written or positive rule or collection of rules prescribed under authority of state or nation)
word (a spoken or written word)
precepts (a commandment, instruction, or order intended as an authoritative rule of action)
commandments (a divine rule, a rule to be observed, the act or power of commanding)
the way (a method, style, process, technique, system, or manner of doing something)
judgments (an opinion or decision that is based on careful thought, an evaluation of evidence to make a decision)
It’s always helpful to have an understanding of the meaning of words.  As you can see with these definitions of the words above, how very important it is, when reading through chapter 119 and the significance of the words God uses to talk to us through all the 176 verses.  Yes He has given us the resources to understand Him better – if we will read.

Take some time to read through the verses again.  And see how God is ever encouraging us that life is blessed when we make reading His words a part of our daily life.  As we meditate on God’s word, we are actually partaking of Him daily, receiving the power & strength we need for that particular day, receiving the wisdom we need to make right choices in all that life brings us daily, having the inner peace that we need daily in this hectic, crazy world we live in! 
Here are just a few really wonderful verses – I have used different versions of the Bible to express better each verse below.
Psalm 119:11 Living Bible (TLB)   
I have thought much about your words and stored them in my heart so that they would hold me back from sin.

Psalm 119:18 Amplified Bible (AMP)   
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Your law.

Psalm 119:20 Good News Translation (GNT)  
 My heart aches with longing; I want to know your judgments at all times.

Psalm 119:24 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)  
Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.

Psalm 119:25 Living Bible (TLB)
 I am completely discouraged—I lie in the dust. Revive me by your Word

Psalm 119:32 Good News Translation (GNT)  
 I will eagerly obey your commands, because you will give me more understanding.

Psalm 119:35 Good News Translation (GNT)  
 Keep me obedient to your commandments, because in them I find happiness.

Psalm 119:40 English Standard Version (ESV)
 Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!


Psalm 119:42 Good News Translation (GNT)
Then I can answer those who insult me because I trust in your word.




Psalm 119:52 Modern English Version (MEV)  
 I remembered Your judgments of old, O Lord, and I have comforted myself.

Psalm 119:59 Modern English Version (MEV) 
 I consider my ways, and I turn my feet to Your testimonies.


Psalm 119:66 Amplified Bible (AMP)
 Teach me good judgment, wise and right discernment, and knowledge, for I have believed (trusted, relied on, and clung to) Your commandments.

Psalm 119:67 Modern English Version (MEV)
Before I was afflicted I wandered, but now I keep Your word.


119:80 Names of God Bible (NOG)
Let my heart be filled with integrity in regard to your laws so that I will not be put to shame.


Psalm 119:92 Living Bible (TLB)
 I would have despaired and perished unless your laws had been my deepest delight.

Psalm 119:97 Amplified Bible (AMP)
 Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:103 Common English Bible (CEB)
 Your word is so pleasing to my taste buds— it’s sweeter than honey in my mouth.

Psalm 119:105 King James Version (KJV)
 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:112 Expanded Bible (EXB)
 I will ·try [L incline my heart] to do ·what you demand [L your statutes/ordinances] forever, until the end.

Psalm 119:130 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
 Your word is a doorway that lets in light, and it helps gullible people understand.


Psalm 119:135 English Standard Version (ESV)
 Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes.

And the last, three of my very own favorites…..

Psalm 119:140 King James Version (KJV)
Thy word is very pure, therefore thy servant loveth it.

Psalm 119:165 King James Version (KJV)
Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend me.
Jeremiah 15:16 (This one is out of Jeremiah but I just had to share it with you!!!!)
Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and Thy word was unto me the JOY and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by Thy name, O Lord God of hosts.




I hope you too, as I did, see through all these verses how God is reaching out to us and saying:

“Read My words, let them wash you and strengthen you!  Allow My words to encourage you daily in your walk & life, oh do you see My child – how I love you and want so much for you to have a strong & steady walk daily while you are living & breathing on this earth?  I will go before you to help you, but read My words because they will open your daily path and bring light to your steps & path, choices & decisions to make every day of your life” 


Oh, do enjoy reading Psalm 119 next time around, and see how Your loving God, wants to fill you, equip you, strengthen & encourage you with his living word.  It is yours for the taking & may it be forever an “anchor” for your new day!

God Bless you and be filled with His all-powerful words!

No comments:

Post a Comment